International cooperation for the protection of personal data
Art. 50 GDPR
- In relation to third countries and international organisations, the Commission and supervisory authorities shall take appropriate steps to:
- develop international cooperation mechanisms to facilitate the effective enforcement of legislation for the protection of personal data;
- provide international mutual assistance in the enforcement of legislation for the protection of personal data, including through notification, complaint referral, investigative assistance and information exchange, subject to appropriate safeguards for the protection of personal data and other fundamental rights and freedoms;
- engage relevant stakeholders in discussion and activities aimed at furthering international cooperation in the enforcement of legislation for the protection of personal data;
- promote the exchange and documentation of personal data protection legislation and practice, including on jurisdictional conflicts with third countries.